Interviews & Magazines, (old and new)

« Older   Newer »
koboldspike
view post Posted on 22/2/2010, 01:18

Translation of an interview with Evgeni by Katarina Witt from Tallinn. Nothing new, but I liked it:

Getting to know about Evgeni Plushenko`s comeback I thought: Why does he do it? But all in all I knew the answer perfectly well: Because Evgeni´s got an exceptional character. He is the figure skating king of this century. With his unbelievable technique and outstanding jumping ability, with his power of expression and wayward choreographies he stamped his mark on male figure skating in an unprecedented way. Coming back after a sabbatical of nearly 4 years without loosing anything of his class proves his exceptional position. But since his retirement after the Olympic victory in 2006 he had a turbulent time.

I flew to the European Championships in Tallinn and watched his gold long program. The next morning we met for an interview.Pluschenko still was a bit tired, but he seemed relaxed and just bursting with self-confidence for the Olympic Games.

Witt: Tell me, why do you engage in a comeback? It is said that a sponsor would pay you five million U.S. dollars, and even Prime Minister Vladimir Putin is supposed to have tried to persuade you?

Plushenko (laughs loudly): Neither is true. I haven`t received a cent for my comeback. But it is true that it was hotly debated even in the Russian parliament. But that had no influence on my decision.

Witt: Why do you come back? Do you miss the adrenaline in normal life?

Pluschenko: First I do it for myself. And second for my wife Yana. About a year ago I`d promised to show her the quad toeloop/triple loop combination, because she`d never seen it live. I managed after two weeks of training. From this point Yana didn`t stop nagging me. She instilled in me that I was a genius and used each opportunity to push me. Whether at breakfast or during phone calls or even when we went to the theatre she told me:"You`re not too old, you have to skate again. That`s your life, that`s your passion." And do you know how she really fuelled my ambition?

Witt: Yes?

Pluschenko: She asked me: "How often are you olympic champion?" I`d hardly answered "once" when she countered:"To be a true hero you have to be olympic champion twice". Like you, Katarina.

Witt: Yes, Yana is right. To be olympic champion twice is something special.

Pluschenko: When Yana started pushing me towards a comeback we weren`t married yet. I retorted: "Are you still well, or have you lost your wits?"(laughs). I hadn`t been competing for 3 1/2 years. No, I thought at first, it`s impossible to return and skate on a top level. I still remember exactly when Brian Boitano and Victor Petrenko tried a comeback 1994 in Lillehammer. Both had been olympic and world champions and hadn`t expected to say goodbye to the winter games without medalling. And our media weren`t nice to me when the first come back rumours turned up. They wrote badly about me instantly. They were sure: Pluschenko won`t be as good as he used to be.

Witt: I think your wife is great. Obviously she can motivate you superbly.

Pluschenko: Without her stepping into my life I wouldn`t have started training last summer and wouldn`t start now in Vancouver. She did an enormous amount for my comeback. I owe her a lucrative sponsoring deal with a big cosmetic firm. I need her. She made me understand that life is a bit more complicated that the life I used to live. I`m proud of her, she`s a very successful music producer. She made a big success of our pop star Dima Bilan as well, who was the first Russian to win the Grand Prix d`Eurovision in Belgrad.

Witt: Where you participated as well.

Pluschenko: I supported Dima`s performance with a dance on an artificial ice sheet.

Have to go to bed now; to be continued soon.

Eine bessere Übersetzung vorsch

Edited by koboldspike - 22/2/2010, 15:07

cekoni
view post Posted on 22/2/2010, 07:58

QUOTE (koboldspike @ 22/2/2010, 01:18)
Translation of an interview with Evgeni by Katarina Witt from Tallinn. Nothing new, but I liked it:...

Thanks Sabine :AddEmoticons04225.gif: ... this is from her "diary" - which link?
http://olympia.ard.de/olympia/hinter-den-k...inawitt100.html
http://www.katarina.de/aktuelles/details/a...diskussion.html

Can you translate us and ARD video? :rolleyes:

koboldspike
view post Posted on 22/2/2010, 23:22

Hope I can do the telly interview tomorrow. Right now I`d like to finish the Tallinn interview.

Witt: How did your rivals react to your return?

Pluschenko: They didn`t believe I was serious. Everybody thought I was fooling them. Some even asked me if I was still clearheaded.

Witt: And how did your coach Alexei Mishin who cared for you since your childhood react?

Pluschenko: He accepted me with open arms. He`s like a father for me. I owe him everything I achieved as a sportsman. I trust him blindly.

Witt: Did the relationship with your trainer change when you got older?

Pluschenko: By now, yes. He`s started asking me for advice, wants to get some tips for everyday live. He understands that I can give him more than success in sports.

Witt: Did you miss competitions?

Pluschenko: Absolutely. Now and then I skated in shows, but competitions are something fundamentally different. You know, I`ve got four motorbikes and six cars. Never mind which vehicle I choose, I always want to drive quickly. And I love horses. If I ride a horse I want to be the fastest. If I play paintball I have to win. Same goes for tennis. But that`s not enough for me. It doesn`t free enough adrenaline; I missed the ultimative kick.

Witt: Now you`ve got it back?

Pluschenko: Yes. And that kick nearly broke me before the free skate at Europeans. It was so tough. Before I had to step on ice I sat in the changing room and didn`t want to go out. I was so nervous, so torn apart. I was really scared. Up to this point the pressure had never been so bad for me.

Witt: Do you know it was obvious for me? You seemed much more tense than you used to be.

Pluschenko: Yes, that`s true. But when I felt the bubbly atmosphere, saw the flags beyond the roof, the packed seats and the judges all doubts suddenly disappeared. I only wanted to show my abilities. With each step, with each movement I felt more great. One of the reasons is that I don`t have any health problems right now (knocks imploringly on wood three times). Last year I had knee and hip surgery in Germany. Your doctors did a superb job.

Witt: What was the toughest stuff concerning your comeback?

Pluschenko: There were several truly gruelling things for me. It starts with getting up early at seven. Then I had to reduce some weight. I was more than 10 kg overweight. After the first training units I thought my brain wouldn`t belong to my body. Each muscle, each sinew hurt terribly when I had to get up in the mornings (gets up and mimicks moaning and with a twisted face how he moves painfully). I needed at least half an hour to be able to walk halfway normally.

Witt: You poor thing...

Pluschenko: Thank God I`ve got a sauna in my house. Each morning I spent up to 30 minutes inside. Then I jumped into ice cold water. Only afterwards I felt like a real human being again.

Witt: Do you like it to have a regulated daily routine again?

Pluschenko: Even without training and competitions I couldn`t complain about boredom. There were some ups and downs. Before I married Yana in September last year I`d already been married once. We got divorced 2008 after three years of marriage. During those 3 years my son Egor was born a few months after the olympic games in Torino.

Witt: Is he going to become a sportsman like you?

Pluschenko: He was two years old when I put him on ice for the first time. He instantly started running without falling once. And last year I took him to hockey.

Witt: And why not figure skating?

Pluschenko: Every kind of sport is somehow difficult if you want to make it to the top. But in my opinion figure skating is the most brutal stuff. If you want to be world class you have to sacrifice a lot of things. Seven, eight hours of daily training are a must, but that doesn`t guarantee you can jump a quad one day; without it you can win nothing nowadays.** In training I already managed to jump two toeloops in combination.

Witt: Wow, that`s crazy!

Pluschenko: Let`s wait and see, maybe I`m going to show a qad combo* now at the olympic games. I`ve planned two quads. But on top of my wish list is the olympic gold medal, of course.

Witt: How would you like to go down into the annals of figure skating? As the human being who managed to nail a combination of two quads or as the personality who was able to achieve this performance? (???)

Pluschenko: Preferably with the combination, if possible combined with a great victory. I`ve been the first one who jumped the 4toeloop-3toeloop-3loop combo as well.

Witt: The last skater who managed to repeat his olympic victory was the American Richard Button 1952 in Oslo. The only one to win three olympic gold medals was the Swede Gillis Grafström - 1920, 1924 and 1928. If you`d win in Vancouver and 2014 in Sotschi you`d be the most successful figure skater in history.

Pluschenko: I`m already the greatest. :rolleyes: In addition to my gold medal from Torino I`ve got the silver from Salt Lake City 2002 as well.

Witt: But Grafström, Button and the Austrian Karl Schäfer who became olympic champion 1932 and 1936 still were more successful than you.

Pluschenko: You can`t compare those competitions with the competitions nowadays. The competition is now much better in a quantitative and qualitative way. That`s normal.

Witt: Well, well, well. One should never compare the times. Will your wife keep quiet if you become olympic champion for the 2nd time in the following days?

Pluschenko: She`d prefer me to continue till Sotschi.

Witt: That would complete a circle for you. As a dominant face of the application of Sotschi you had a huge part in the city receiving the bid for 2014.

Pluschenko: It was bloody hard work to convince the members of the International Olympic Commitee of Sotschi. But it was worth it. I heard you`re doing the same for the Munich application for 2018?

Witt: Yes, I`m the chairwoman of the trustees of the Munich application society.

Pluschenko: If I`m allowed to give you an advice, than this one: Stay natural and tell the truth. I`m sure in this case you will do a super job and pave the way for Munich. If Munich will receive the bid I`m going to skate till 2018 (both have to laugh).

Witt: No joke now, for how long do you want to continue skating?

Pluschenko: Honestly, I don`t know. Sotschi is quite a tempation. But I don`t want to plan four years in advance.

Witt: So you`re planning from year to year. After my first olympic victory 1984 I did the same. That works superbly.

Pluschenko: It`s good that I already know what to do when skating is over.

Witt: You certainly want to become a politician?

Pluschenko: That would be an option. I`m a member of parliament in St. Petersburg. Nevertheless it`s a completely different life to be a politician. Let`s wait and see; maybe I will move to Moscow after the winter games. In any case I`d like to work with people.

Witt: And what do you imagine?

Pluschenko: I`d like to fulfill an old dream of mine and build an unique sports academy for figure skaters and hockey players in St. Petersburg. It`s supposed to contain a hotel, a school, Kindergarten, physiotherapy, simply everything that`s necessary to achieve top performances. The businessplans are ready; the search for investors starts when the winter games are over.

*I think he means the 4-4 combination

** Well, by now it`s been proved otherwise... :cry:

cekoni
view post Posted on 23/2/2010, 13:53

Many thanks, Sabine :AddEmoticons04225.gif:

Anuradha1978
view post Posted on 23/2/2010, 22:05

Very intresting interview, thank you! :o)

cekoni
view post Posted on 25/2/2010, 01:15

QUOTE (koboldspike @ 22/2/2010, 23:22)
Hope I can do the telly interview tomorrow. Right now I`d like to finish the Tallinn interview...

Sabine, from whee is this interview - you have link for him ... or name of newspaper? :AddEmoticons04259.gif:

.. am I here saw a picture Plushy and Katarina, as well as to dance Tango .. or it's was only my phantasm? :unsure: :wacko:

cekoni
view post Posted on 2/3/2010, 13:06

Plushy is returned to Russia - Moscow airport! :i5skuv.gif: :36_1_13.gif:

VIDEO

- view: www.championat.tv/video/5134.html
- download: www.championat.tv/files2/4/35w9ma.flv

Zhenya get a little on weight :AddEmoticons04263.gif:

Edited by cekoni - 3/3/2010, 11:38

dimitra
view post Posted on 2/3/2010, 18:25

After arrival to Moscow,St peters

What does he say in those videos?

Anuradha dil se
view post Posted on 2/3/2010, 21:13

I would love to hear, what he is saying in that video. I love him! His hair, face... I love his little bald (only front a very little). Because of that he looks so manly, hot!!! :wub:

elektrik_lady
view post Posted on 3/3/2010, 10:15

what is he saying? ughhh.. I should learn Russian!

lilaa
view post Posted on 3/3/2010, 10:44

what is he saying? ughhh.. I should learn Russian!

I feel the same, but I'm bad with learning languages :lol:

Anuradha dil se
view post Posted on 3/3/2010, 11:24

Dimitra: That photo is amazing!!! That look straight to camera and that EVERYTHING! That is amazing...!!! HOT! :15f535z.gif:

That youtube-video is allso fun. Evgeni doesn't take his head to show (I don't know what is that name in his head, like a hat...).

cekoni
view post Posted on 3/3/2010, 11:47

OK... my mistake - first video is from Moscow airport ;)

Dimi's photos is from Mossow and St.Peter airport (Zhenya waiting for second flight)

... more photos from St.Peter airport
http://spb.kp.ru/photo/gallery/21961/

... similar video, as Dimi's (with mother) - at the end, Plushy said:
"I know that the people for me, and it is important to me ... and that there are some which write negative things about me, that's their problem, shall only continue..."

http://spb.kp.ru/video/418129/
- down: http://kp.ru/upfile/flv/418129.flv

I will translate later, but he said the usual things ;)

cekoni
view post Posted on 3/3/2010, 14:33

Link with help of rollerbladerunner ;)
---------------

www.zaks.ru/new/archive/view/66557

Evgeni Plushenko no longer wants to be a Deputy

Silver medalist of the Olympic Games in Vancouver, Evgeni Plushenko, returned this morning in St. Petersburg, and on a meeting with reporters at the airport said that he "must left the membership in Parliament, and engage in sports." "That is what I manage well", - explained the athlete.

Plushenko said, answering a question that he was a deputy, to make appropriate laws to improve the situation in Russia's sports.
Evgeni Plushenko, recall - a deputy of the St. Petersburg Legislative Assembly from "Fair Russia" party. He rarely appeared at meetings, which gave rise to criticism.

Plushenko is also quite nervous about the criticism of some journalists, who in a conversation with him indicated his unsportsmanlike behavior to the Vancouver Olympic champion Evan Lysacek. :angry:
"Many media and the Internet replicate an incorrect and inaccurate information. I did not say, that Lysacek is a bad skater. He's a good skater. I just can not understand, how someone can become an Olympic champion without doing a quadruple jump," - said Plushenko.

On the comments of some journalists that Evgeni knew, what was going on and the rules were known to him :angry: the silver medalist did not know what to reply, except "we are talking about Lysacek."

With regard to the news that he would cast a gold medal, Plushenko thanked "his real fans, who know how hard it is - to return to the sport."

Should be reminded that in March 2009 the leader of the party "Fair Russia" Sergei Mironov promised that Plushenko will soon lay down the mandate. He explained this is the fact that "we need Evgeni Plushenko in Moscow to start preparing the team of skaters for the Olympics."

-------------------------

:AddEmoticons04247.gif:

What kind of sycophant! :angry: Just do not know, whether they sycophant to west, or to sport officials in Russia, which is Plushy criticized, and whose chair is shaking ... Medvedev in an interview yesterday announced major shifts between officials in Russian sports :P

.... Evgeni knew, what was going on and the rules were known to him...

But he did not know that a judges can be bribe - if someone put him on the 21-22 position in the short program ... what to say more? <_<
So open fraud not would be unthinkable and possible to anyone, but since they are the Americans - nothing surprises me ... now the run propaganda against Plushenko on the west, only to "cover" their theft. :angry:

But Plushenko will always remain the champion :wub: ... regardless on the "impostor" :P

177 replies since 14/12/2008, 00:01   7847 views