Books, Books which you love to read

« Older   Newer »
HXM
icon11  view post Posted on 24/3/2009, 17:56

I think, beside one general OFFFFF topic, we can have here some Off-on theme topics...
In this one, we can write about our favorite books, autors, literary genres or what we are reading in these days... ;)

I like to read:
biographies - beside Edvin's one, I have read biographies of music groups, singers, actors - mainly from Czech republic... and some historical persons...
novels - I like novels from girls/women like Anne of Green Gables, Bridget Jones Diary, Jane Eyre, Little women, Tangled web.... and many others.... then I liked the Da Vinci code, Angels and Deamons, now I am reading The Dumas club and many others...
detective novels - I like Sherlock Holmes adventures
fantasy - of course Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings with Hobit, Silmarilion and Unfinished stories, Chronicles of Narnia, His Dark materials.... Star Wars and many more....

then i read many historical books....

so thats what come to my mind now.... :B):

Edited by HXM - 24/3/2009, 18:35

LJS_Lexxa
view post Posted on 21/4/2009, 22:50

my fave books are sf :)
my latest reads are Twilight by S. Meyer (all 5 books) whenever i wasn't at school in 5 days, i read House of Night by PC Cast and Kristin Cast , another 5 books in a week also, i absolutely loved Dune by Frank Herbert...

there are also the novels i *have* to read for school... which don't really count if you don't like them, right? :ph34r:

other than that i ( think ) i enjoyed a bit of Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz... i'm currently trying to convince myself that i'll like it... :rolleyes:

cekoni
view post Posted on 21/4/2009, 23:01

QUOTE (LJS_Lexxa @ 21/4/2009, 23:50)
... i absolutely loved Dune by Frank Herbert...

other than that i ( think ) i enjoyed a bit of Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz... i'm currently trying to convince myself that i'll like it... :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Duneeeeeee :36_1_55.gif:
"Quo Vadis" is sooooooooooo... "romantic" book :wub:

... and from Hen's "choice" ... Little Woman, Lord of the Rings with Hobit, Silmarilion... ^_^

:rolleyes: In fact, we have the same taste in books here - SF, romantic, historical, fictional ... :AddEmoticons04263.gif:

HXM
view post Posted on 22/4/2009, 08:39

QUOTE (cekoni @ 22/4/2009, 00:01)
QUOTE (LJS_Lexxa @ 21/4/2009, 23:50)
... i absolutely loved Dune by Frank Herbert...

:rolleyes: Duneeeeeee :36_1_55.gif:
"Quo Vadis" is sooooooooooo... "romantic" book :wub:

... and from Hen's "choice" ... Little Woman, Lord of the Rings with Hobit, Silmarilion... ^_^

:rolleyes: In fact, we have the same taste in books here - SF, romantic, historical, fictional ... :AddEmoticons04263.gif:

I have also Dune, which I have bought few years ago, but I dont find time to read it..... Always read something another.... :AddEmoticons04263.gif:

LJS_Lexxa
view post Posted on 22/4/2009, 11:17

OOOOhhhh you HAVE to read the dune series!! it has everything, from romance to politics.... and i mean everything. even psychology

here's an interesting read about the series. :)
"It’s just this sort of maddening number of perspectives that make Dune such an enticing book to read. Frank Herbert wrote Dune as a commentary on quite nearly every aspect of human existence. Religion, sexuality, politics, our environment, resource allocation and the problems inherent with prophecy are just a few of Herbert’s subjects. Any one of these could fill a library easily. Herbert can fit them all into one book."

http://www.bookslut.com/fiction/2002_10_000333.php

HXM
view post Posted on 22/4/2009, 12:16

I know there is many book in series. And I have seen also movies - Dune and Children of Dune, which was filming in Czech republic and also there are few czech actors playing....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0287839/

lilaa
view post Posted on 22/4/2009, 14:30

I also love sf :)

my latest reads are Twilight by S. Meyer (all 5 books)

I also read them, but I was a bit dissapointed in the end, although the books aren't bad but they are real teeny books :)

I prefer The Lord of The Rings and all Harry Potter books, and Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourite books (and movies) and Wuthering Hights by Emily Bronte is also one of the best books I've ever read.
At the moment I am reading the "shopaholic"- books by Sophie Kinsella as I liked the movie I've decided to read the books too, and I like them, they are really funny

I think there are some more books, because I really enjoy reading but I can't remember now :D

I've just remembered I also like Dan Brown, I read "The Da Vinci Code"; "Angels & Demons", "Digital Fortress" and "Deception Point" and I like them all but "Angels & Demons" is the best one :)

HXM
view post Posted on 22/4/2009, 15:34

Yes Angels and Deamons was very interesting, I am curious about movie....

I am already reading Last of the Mohicans (I already started..)

and Lady Pirate (it is a little rubbish among all what I have read, but It dont need some extra intellection.... and of course only historical connextion with real pirate Mary Read is name..... :lol: it is good when you want to read something, but not very think :lol: )

before Mohican I read Dumas Club, it was very interesting (and for me as student of history very near... :lol: ), and then when I saw again the Movie Ninth Gate, I find out how much Polanski simplifyied it...

And Pride and Prejudice I have too, but for now I also didnt find time to read it yet....

LJS_Lexxa
view post Posted on 22/4/2009, 21:06

QUOTE (HXM @ 22/4/2009, 13:16)
I know there is many book in series. And I have seen also movies - Dune and Children of Dune, which was filming in Czech republic and also there are few czech actors playing....

the movie is an absolute zero compared to the books.... the movie passed by the love between Paul and Chani too fast... and by so many other important moments in the books... i read 10 books in 2 weeks. i think i'd manage 7 more if i'd find Dune in english... i'd so read it again for the third time! LOL
:AddEmoticons04263.gif:

HXM
view post Posted on 22/4/2009, 21:29

In slovakian there are 18 books, but it is also with extended book which has wrote by another autors....

LJS_Lexxa
view post Posted on 22/4/2009, 21:48

yes, there is a book that was written by his son and someone else, but when i finished the series i was sad it was over and i didn't get to read the other one too. i don't know why they are so many in slovakian but it's a good read. no scratch that. it's a great read. it's a book that actually teaches you a lot about everything. its amazing and captivating. and i could say without hesitation that it's the most valuable books series in my bookcase :)

cekoni
view post Posted on 22/4/2009, 21:50

QUOTE (LJS_Lexxa @ 22/4/2009, 22:06)
QUOTE (HXM @ 22/4/2009, 13:16)

the movie is an absolute zero compared to the books....

I agree :rolleyes: ... "Dune" is a philosophical-religious novel - in the film is only "action" <_<

"The Lord of the Rings" was very well scientifically associated with the original stories and myths of many European nations ... especially Slavic and Scandinavian ;) Does not surprise me, because it is written philologist professor ^_^

Do you someone here already read the books of Jean Auel "The Clan of the Cave Bear" ... etc? :rolleyes:
I suggest you also - this is historical "anthropological" fiction novels set in prehistoric Europe, about Cro-Magnon and Neanderthals, and beginnings and customs of human communities :B):
It may be written more for "younger teenage girls" :D - but there you can find a very interesting "scientific" details ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_M._Auel

HXM
view post Posted on 22/4/2009, 21:53

QUOTE (LJS_Lexxa @ 22/4/2009, 22:48)
it's a good read. no scratch that. it's a great read. it's a book that actually teaches you a lot about everything. its amazing and captivating. and i could say without hesitation that it's the most valuable books series in my bookcase :)

I am sure that it is, but big problem is when??? I have many books in my library which I want to read, but when??? It is hard to find free time to read, and before sleeping I read two pages and I am dead and go sleep... then with this rhythm I read one book soooo long time...

cekoni
view post Posted on 22/4/2009, 22:00

QUOTE (HXM @ 22/4/2009, 22:53)
QUOTE (LJS_Lexxa @ 22/4/2009, 22:48)
it's a good read. no scratch that. it's a great read. it's a book that actually teaches you a lot about everything. its amazing and captivating. and i could say without hesitation that it's the most valuable books series in my bookcase :)

I am sure that it is, but big problem is when??? I have many books in my library which I want to read, but when??? It is hard to find free time to read, and before sleeping I read two pages and I am dead and go sleep... then with this rhythm I read one book soooo long time...

Eh :rolleyes: ... in "my" time there were no computers... and were only 2 TV channels :D

:36_11_6.gif:

HXM
view post Posted on 22/4/2009, 22:10

QUOTE (cekoni @ 22/4/2009, 22:50)
"The Lord of the Rings" was very well scientifically associated with the original stories and myths of many European nations ... especially Slavic and Scandinavian ;) Does not surprise me, because it is written philologist professor ^_^

I think that from LOTR was too much important things removed in film... There is too much wars and too less story....

QUOTE (cekoni @ 22/4/2009, 22:50)
Do you someone here already read the books of Jean Auel "The Clan of the Cave Bear" ... etc? :rolleyes:
I suggest you also - this is historical "anthropological" fiction novels set in prehistoric Europe, about Cro-Magnon and Neanderthals, and beginnings and customs of human communities :B):

Aaaach my God :kaos-pika25.gif: :36_20_1.gif:
Primeval.... that is one thing about which I dont want to hear when I will Finally make (I believe and pray for it... ) my exham from it... It is only one subject from which I think I know everything since Paleolithic ages to Migration Period and also everything about archeology with about 200 words about prehistoric cultures and places and many other... and It is always visibly not enough... <_<

QUOTE (cekoni @ 22/4/2009, 23:00)
QUOTE (HXM @ 22/4/2009, 22:53)

Eh :rolleyes: ... in "my" time there were no computers... and were only 2 TV channels :D

:36_11_6.gif:

But when I want read or I am already reading some interesting book (like for Example Harry Potter :lol: ) and have time, I am not on PC or dont Watch TV, but just read.... but now I have much work to write and read to school, then for normal books I have no energy to read....

31 replies since 24/3/2009, 17:56   336 views