Various news about other skaters

« Older   Newer »
cekoni
view post Posted on 26/2/2010, 13:51

Feb 25,

Russian skating slump hits home hard
Former powerhouse comes to terms with poor Olympic showing
www.nbcolympics.com/news-features/n...+hits+home+hard
... One tradition has died at the Vancouver Olympics: The Russian national anthem hasn't been played at any figure skating medals ceremony....

Feb 24, 6:07p ET

Legend blames Russian officials for skating flop
Irina Rodnina, 3-time Olympic champion, launches a scathing attack
www.nbcolympics.com/news-features/n...lames+officials
... Rodnina said that she believed that Piseyev should resign after his team's disastrous performance in Vancouver, where Russia is set to finish without an Olympic gold medal in figure skating for the first time in 50 years....

---------------------------------------------------

Interviews of Johhny Wier ... ^_^

Feb 24, 8:43p

Weir wants critics to think, not make apologies
www.nbcolympics.com/news-features/n...+make+apologies

Feb 25,

Weir still in Vancouver, with plenty to say
www.nbcolympics.com/olympicpulse/bl...ver+with+plenty

kudryavka
view post Posted on 12/3/2010, 03:32

Artur Gachinski won the bronze at Junior Worlds! He and another Artur (Dmitriev) qualified for three Jr. men's places :D
www.isuresults.com/results/wjc2010/
------

BTW, Japanese skater Yuzuru Hanyu ( www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010967.htm ), the winner of Junior Worlds, always says that he's a Plush fan :)
------

8 March, 2010
Yuzuru Hanyu Interview
www.jsports.co.jp/tv/winter/figure_blog/2010/03/post_81.html

Yamato Tamura: Who is your idol?
Yuzuru Hanyu: That's him, who returned to competition in this season...

T: Huh? Is it me?
H: Yes, it is. My idol is Yamato Tamura (Laugh), who has come back this year. (Yuzuru makes a joke :lol: )

T: Okay, get serious. (Laugh)
H: That is Plushenko. He doesn't make error after such a long break. And, the main reason why I adore him is, because he has his own story in program. That's amazing.

Do you remember this post? #entry335658181 :AddEmoticons04263.gif:

-------

Yuzuru Hanyu - 2010 Junior Worlds SP

Edited by kudryavka - 12/3/2010, 16:06

cekoni
view post Posted on 12/3/2010, 05:57

QUOTE (kudryavka @ 12/3/2010, 03:32)
Artur Gachinski won the bronze at Junior Worlds! He and another Artur (Dmitriev) qualified for three Jr. men's places :D
www.isuresults.com/results/wjc2010/
------

BTW, Japanese skater Yuzuru Hanyu, the winner of Junior Worlds, always says that he's a Plush fan :)

Nice for both Artur :rolleyes: :i5skuv.gif:

Interesting, Denis Ten is only 9 :huh:

Go, little Plushy-fans! :D

kudryavka
view post Posted on 12/3/2010, 08:14

QUOTE (cekoni @ 12/3/2010, 13:57)
Nice for both Artur :rolleyes: :i5skuv.gif:

Mishin must be pleased :D

QUOTE (cekoni @ 12/3/2010, 13:57)
Interesting, Denis Ten is only 9 :huh:

I think Dennis is overworked and exhausted. He needs to rest...

kudryavka
view post Posted on 14/3/2010, 04:52

QUOTE (rainisland @ 14/3/2010, 07:52)

Artur and Yuna? Cute :wub: When this photo was taken?

rainisland
view post Posted on 14/3/2010, 08:52

CITAZIONE
Artur and Yuna? Cute :wub: When this photo was taken?

It's a snap shout from the video - I don't remember where I have seen it, should be official site of Yu Na.
There is Yu Na with mny other skaters (exept Evgeni).
But, if you like, I can look for it.

cekoni
view post Posted on 15/3/2010, 23:57

http://glaadblog.org/2010/03/12/olympic-sk...ugh-to-perform/
March 12, 2010 by Seth Adam, GLAAD's National News Fellow

Olympic Figure Skater Johnny Weir Confirms: ‘Stars on Ice’ Deemed Him “Not Family Friendly” Enough to Perform

Earlier this week we reported that U.S. Champion and Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir had been denied a spot on the 2010 ‘Stars on Ice Tour,’ because he is “not family friendly.” We obtained the information from a source who wishes to remain anonymous. In an interview with Access Hollywood on Friday, Weir confirmed that he will be excluded from the tour after tour sponsors deemed him “not family friendly.”

“It’s for real,” Weir said. “I’ve never been invited to do ‘Stars on Ice’ before, which is the only figure skating tour in the U.S. It’s disappointing that I can’t perform for my American fans… all because I’m not ‘family friendly’ enough.”

Following the news GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios issued a statement denouncing Johnny Weir’s rejection from ‘Stars on Ice.’

“Johnny Weir is a two time Olympian and three time U.S. champion. Other athletes of his caliber would be granted the opportunity to perform during national tours like Stars on Ice. By choosing not to bring the performances and talent of Johnny Weir to American audiences, Stars on Ice is reinforcing an unfortunate double standard that is too often applied to gay athletes and athletes perceived to be gay.

“GLAAD calls on Stars on Ice to invite all eligible figure skaters because today people of all gender expressions and sexual orientations are part of the fabric of our culture. Athletes of Weir’s caliber deserve the same rights to perform on this, and any, tour.

“We urge community members to speak out against this apparent double standard and call on Stars on Ice and corporate sponsor Smucker’s to demand equal opportunities for all athletes.”

GLAAD encourages its members and anyone concerned about this type of exclusion and prejudice to send a letter here
http://www.change.org/glaad/actions/view/a...is_unacceptable
...and sign a supporter’s petition here.
www.gopetition.com/petitions/include-johnny-weir.html

-------------------------------------

http://www.accesshollywood.com/johnny-weir...a_article_30075

Johnny Weir Responds To ‘Stars On Ice’ Tour Exclusion: ‘I’d Love To Have My Own Show… Maybe Getting Lady Gaga’

LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Figure skater Johnny Weir is speaking out about being left out in the cold from the “Stars on Ice” tour.

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) broke news on Thursday that the two-time Olympian was allegedly deemed “not family friendly” by the tour’s sponsors.

Johnny Weir spoke to Billy Bush for “The Billy Bush Show” and Access Hollywood on Friday morning to address his exclusion.

“It is for real,” he told Billy. “I’ve never been invited to do ‘Star on Ice’ before, which is the only figure skating tour in the U.S., and it’s disappointing that I can’t perform for my American fans… all because I’m not ‘family friendly’ enough.”

The three-time U.S. National Champion said the hardest part about not skating on the tour would be missing his devoted fans.

“I totally understand that I am a little outrageous in some ways… I’m a little un-P.C., but I really wish I had the chance to perform for the American fans,” he continued.

But Johnny has a possible backup plan with another irreverent performer in mind.

“Maybe right now, just artistically and creatively, I’d love to have my own show and my own tour and involve some big musical acts, like maybe getting Lady Gaga” he said, explaining that if he found sponsors he would create an all-inclusive event. “Nobody would be too un-family friendly for my show.”

He dismissed the idea that he was excluded because of his flamboyant style or perceived sexuality and noted that ice-skating is always going to be flashy.

“I don’t like to look at boundaries as far as sexuality is concerned. I don’t like to look at things based on a person’s sexuality,” he continued. “Anytime you get men in glitter it’s flamboyant occasion!”

When contacted by Access, a rep for “Stars On Ice” said, “We are disappointed that there is untrue and inaccurate information being disseminated. Please be assured that the ‘gender identity and sexual orientation’ of cast members has never been a consideration in the selection of tour performers. ‘Stars on Ice’ recognizes Johnny Weir is a talented athlete and we appreciate the contributions he has made to the international figure skating community throughout his career.”

The rep said there simply is not enough space on the tour.

“The current cast of the ‘Stars on Ice’ tour includes very talented performers including the Olympic Gold medalist, Evan Lysacek and the current U.S. National Champion, Jeremy Abbott, the statement continued. “While ‘Stars on Ice’ wishes it could accommodate many more talented skaters as part of our cast, the fact is we cannot sign every skater… be assured that the comments mentioned regarding the ‘Stars on Ice’ tour are simply not accurate.”

kudryavka
view post Posted on 16/3/2010, 11:57

Jr. champion Yuzuru Hanyu was interviewed by local TV today. He called Plushy "God of figure skating." LOL

Anuradha dil se
view post Posted on 17/3/2010, 10:53

Johnny Weir: GO GO GO! I'm in your side allways! :) :) :)

kudryavka
view post Posted on 24/3/2010, 05:43

According to this article, coach Nikolai Morozov and his pupil Miki Ando move to Moscow for Sochi 2014 from next season.
www.chunichi.co.jp/chuspo/article/s...2402000108.html

cekoni
view post Posted on 24/3/2010, 20:19

http://www.northjersey.com/arts_entertainm..._shop-able.html

... Johnny Weir, 25, is on the phone shortly after the 2010 Winter Olympics, where he achieved a new personal-best combined score of 238.87, but finished in sixth place overall.

"I did everything that I could to have a good performance and I was strong and I skated well, and … I made my fans and my family so proud, and that's really what I could control," Weir says. "Of course, I wish I had a medal. But I can't control the judges."....

----------------------------------------

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0032303012.html
By NANCY ARMOUR The Associated Press Tuesday, March 23, 2010; 5:49 PM

Future undecided, Weir enjoying spoils of Olympics

Johnny Weir has gotten the gold medal treatment since the Vancouver Olympics, going to the Oscars, hanging out with Jay Leno and Larry King and, in the ultimate sign of star status, having his outfit picked apart in Us Weekly.

Not bad for a guy who finished sixth.

"The comments I'm getting from people is that they really could connect with my Olympic experience," Weir said Tuesday from Los Angeles. "It's incredible. I know my fans have always supported me. But just the amount of people that are now supporting me, everyone's behind me."

Weir has long enjoyed huge followings in Russia and Japan, where fans wait for him at the airport and shower him with gifts. But it took the Vancouver Games for most of the United States to discover the quirky, colorful and wildly entertaining figure skater.

He roomed with U.S. ice dancer Tanith Belbin at the Olympic village, taking charge of the decorating and cleaning. He skated the best he has in years, with clean performances in both the short and long programs.

He also gracefully handled derogatory comments by two Montreal broadcasters, who said the three-time U.S. champion was hurting figure skating's image and suggested he take a gender test. Rather than firing back, Weir said he hoped the incident would encourage understanding of people who are different and make people think about what they say.

"It was a perfect place for me to talk about being different and how it's not a problem. I have a beautiful life," said Weir, who has steadfastly refused to discuss his sexuality.

"In my own small way, I helped the next generation who, hopefully, won't have to deal with these same people saying terrible things about them."

But the Olympics did take their toll.

Despite skating cleanly, Weir finished behind Switzerland's Stephane Lambiel and Canada's Patrick Chan, both of whom had major errors. Weir admits he was discouraged by the placement, and it contributed to his decision not to compete at this week's world championships.

Weir was replaced by Adam Rippon, winner of the last two junior world titles. The men's competition begins Wednesday with the short program.

"When you work that long for that, when you do everything you can personally and then you're not rewarded, it's very sad and it's very depressing and it's very hard," he said. "I fought my whole career. After the Olympics, the fight kind of left me."

Weir still will have a hand in worlds, doing commentary for Universal Sports. He'll then fly to Russia for two shows with 2006 Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko,
returning to the United States on April 1 for "Ice Dreams" in Chicago, which also features fellow Olympian Rachael Flatt.

Though his "Be Good Johnny Weir" reality show wrapped up Monday night, a new episode is coming in June and he's in talks for a second season. He's also trying to line up sponsors for an ice show of his own in the United States. And he recently sat down with officials at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York.

"People really are showing me so much love, and that's worth its weight in gold to me," Weir said.

Oh, he's also going to the Kentucky Derby next month.

"I want to wear a giant hat," he said. "There's somebody who is going to be styling me, but I hope there's a hat involved."

All this off-ice fun doesn't mean his competitive career is over, however.

Weir's new exhibition program is to "Bad Romance" by idol Lady Gaga, and he jokes it's a perfect fit for how he feels about the figure skating establishment these days. But the 25-year-old also has told U.S. Figure Skating his preferences for Grand Prix events next season, and said he felt like a "fish out of water" when he talked to FIT about school.

"(Skating) has been my life since I was 12 years old. It's what I woke up for every day - it's still what I wake up for every day. That's what made me me," he said. "It's difficult to imagine my life without those things, without the constant competitiveness and constant travel and drama. It just seems really weird not to have that in my life."

----------------------------------------------

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/20...eno-a-kick.html
March 23, 2010 1:44 PM ET

'The Tonight Show': Johnny Weir gives Jay Leno a kick

Weir talked about his childhood in the Amish country of Pennsylvania, his thoughts on the Olympics and the controversy of being excluded from "Stars on Ice."

Of course, Weir brings his own special charm to the interview with a high kick and it's endearing how chummy he gets with Leno's earlier guest that night, former NBA player Charles Barkley. He also announces that he's in talks to create his own skating show, which he'd love to have Elton John and Lady Gaga join in on!

Johnny Weir @ The Tonight Show with Jay Leno 03/22/2010 [ part 6 ] also Charles Barkley
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzYTvF-NWHc

.. similrar or same video...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R_zKqFp_8E

Full Free Episodes Online The Tonight Show with Jay Leno - 03/22/2010 - Charles Barkley, Johnny Weir
www.megavideo.com/?v=MUUVT77U

Anuradha dil se
view post Posted on 24/3/2010, 20:38

Johnny is so cool! Adam Ribbon was allso great in Worlds (short program). I liked his triple (something) jump, where his hands was up! It was so nice to see!

Anuradha dil se
view post Posted on 27/3/2010, 18:27

Laura Lepistö, Bronze medalist in Torino, Worlds!!! First time in Finland we have medalist in women single figure skating!!! I'm so happy today!

:AddEmoticons04220.gif: :36_1_13.gif:

Anuradha dil se
view post Posted on 8/4/2010, 12:58

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtYicfYeyyc <--- Stéphane Lambiel & Ne Me Quitte Pas & 25th birthday song to Stéphane in STOCKHOLM ICE 2010. Video by Anuradha from Finland.

:kaos-pika33.gif:

360 replies since 21/2/2009, 04:01   11775 views