His name in foreign languages

« Older   Newer »
HXM
view post Posted on 16/5/2009, 19:42

QUOTE (cekoni @ 16/5/2009, 03:33)
QUOTE (HXM @ 15/5/2009, 09:30)
Yes his name is very hard to spell in some, I think maynly non slavonian, languages, I Think, thats why he make his general name as Evgeni Plushenko, to not mutilation his name...

And for example czech people have very good and literal transcript - Jevgenij Viktorovič Pljuščenko...

:rolleyes: Pljuščenko... almost same in serbian ;)

But "non-slavic" nations have much more problems with the Russian letter: щ ... which consists of 2 "sounds" - š (sh) and č (ch) :P

In my language we have 2 versions of the letter "č" - ch (various spoken):
- "harder" ch - č
- "soften" ch - ć

I do not know how you (Slovakian, Czech...) pronounced the letter "č", but our "soften ć" is much more similar to that, how Russians spoken letter щ ... so: щ = šć :D

P.S. interested me - if any of you well see my letter ć ?... I know that we have a common letters "č" and "š", but I do not know if you see this letter in your browser? :AddEmoticons04259.gif:

I see, because we have also šč as you know already.... and I also see ć becaise we have "´" and with another letter it is no problem...

cekoni
view post Posted on 17/5/2009, 01:04

QUOTE (HXM @ 16/5/2009, 20:42)
I see, because we have also šč as you know already.... and I also see ć becaise we have "´" and with another letter it is no problem...

I am glad that someone can see him ^_^ :lol:

rainisland
view post Posted on 17/5/2009, 16:18

Yes, in italian he is EUGENIO, and G is like "join" or "joy".
I remember, last January, during the KOI at Milano, Maurizio Margaglio (ex italian figure skater in couple with Barbara Fusar poli) who now presenting ice shows, asked me: "Can you, please, tell me, how can I announce Evgeni with the right accent? So I teach him to say his name in russian :-)
I think Maurizio is the only italian who knows how to SAY EVGENI PLUSHENKO in russian :AddEmoticons04263.gif:

goldendove
view post Posted on 18/5/2009, 03:55

In Korean, we write...

Evgeny

- 예브게니(pronunciation closed to "Yev-ghe-ni")
- 예프게니 ("Yef-ghe-ni")
- 에브게니 ("Eh-v-ghe-ni")

Plushenko - 플루셴코 or 플루쉔코

Zhenya - 제냐

Plush - 플루쉬

Czar - 짜르

dimitra
view post Posted on 18/5/2009, 08:33

Πλούσυ , Πλούσι (Plushy) :wub:

LJS_Lexxa
view post Posted on 18/5/2009, 18:37

in Romanian:
Evgheni
Jenia
Pluşenco

cekoni
view post Posted on 19/5/2009, 00:28

Nice :rolleyes: this is starting to look like in "real" dictionary :AddEmoticons04263.gif:

.... btw ... this topic is usually appear when I Google search word: Plushenko :lol: :15f535z.gif:

Emy71
view post Posted on 19/5/2009, 08:09

BTW interesting discussion... :shifty:
I have already said that in Italian is Eugenio end his nickname is "Gigi" as in Russia he has called Zhenya

MirandaM
view post Posted on 19/5/2009, 16:03

in Polish also Jewgienij, Żenia, Żeńka :rolleyes:

cekoni
view post Posted on 19/5/2009, 23:52

QUOTE (Emy71 @ 19/5/2009, 09:09)
BTW interesting discussion... :shifty:
I have already said that in Italian is Eugenio end his nickname is "Gigi" as in Russia he has called Zhenya

Gigi is not a female nickname? :rolleyes: :AddEmoticons04263.gif:

Speaking of "interesting" things ;) ...
... his name in Serbian is: Jevgenije ... if you remove "Jev", remains "genije" - which means in my language: GENIUS :kaos-pika04.gif:

kudryavka
view post Posted on 20/5/2009, 03:30

QUOTE (HXM @ 14/5/2009, 17:39)
chinese ??? - 叶甫根尼·维克多维奇·普鲁申科

All Chinese character has meaning. Such as "Zhang (tension/stretch) Hao (big sky)" "Shen (say/mention/monkey of the chinese zodiac) Xue (snow)" So, Both sound and meaning are important.

But, in case of name of people who don't use Chinese character, sound is important than meaning.
"叶 ye 甫 v 根 ge 尼 ni 维 vi 克 k 多 tro 维 vi 奇 ch 普 p 鲁 lu 申 shen 科 ko"

"Shao-Pu (小普)" is his nick in Chinese. ("Shao" meaning "little." so, it is "Plushy" or "Zhenechka.") image

Edited by kudryavka - 20/5/2009, 12:47

cekoni
view post Posted on 21/5/2009, 02:56

QUOTE (kudryavka @ 20/5/2009, 04:30)
All Chinese character has meaning. Such as "Zhang (tension/stretch) Hao (big sky)" "Shen (say/mention/monkey of the chinese zodiac) Xue (snow)" So, Both sound and meaning are important...

You know Chinese? :woot: :36_1_55.gif:

Has always interested me - how much the Chinese and Japanese (or Korean) differ? :AddEmoticons04259.gif: .... all the three letters (alphabets) look similar to us, "others" :AddEmoticons04263.gif:

kudryavka
view post Posted on 21/5/2009, 04:35

QUOTE (cekoni @ 21/5/2009, 11:56)

No I can't :lol:

But Japanese people use two native phonograms (Hiragana and Katakana) and Chinese characters. We learn Chinese character from elementary school to at least 15 years old. So I understand meaning of Chinese words a little.

e.g.
Takahashi Daisuke (Romanization of Japanese)
たかはし だいすけ (Hiragana. Usually only children use it.)
タカハシ ダイスケ (Katakana. Usually it used the words from foreign countries.)
高橋 大輔 (Chinese character. "Takahashi" meaning "tall bridge." "Daisuke" meaning "big assist")

Korean and Vietnamese people also use (used) Chinese character. "Kim Yu-na" meaning "Golden Beautiful-child." But, now they didn't use it much.

Has always interested me - how much the Chinese and Japanese (or Korean) differ? :AddEmoticons04259.gif: .... all the three letters (alphabets) look similar to us, "others" :AddEmoticons04263.gif:

Korean grammar is very similar to Japanese. And the word of Chinese origin is the same. But native words don't have similarity. Therefore, linguists think that Korean and Japanese diverged in ancient times.

Chinese and Japanese glamour are completely different. They speak like "I eat foods" but Japanese speak "I foods eat."

IMO Chinese language is like Latin, or Russian in countries of former Soviet.

goldendove
view post Posted on 21/5/2009, 06:11

QUOTE (kudryavka @ 21/5/2009, 05:35)
But Japanese people use two native phonograms (Hiragana and Katakana) and Chinese characters. We learn Chinese character from elementary school to at least 15 years old. So I understand meaning of Chinese words a little.

Korean and Vietnamese people also use (used) Chinese character. "Kim Yu-na" meaning "Golden Beautiful-child." But, now they didn't use it much.
Korean grammar is very similar to Japanese. And the word of Chinese origin is the same. But native words don't have similarity. Therefore, linguists think that Korean and Japanese diverged in ancient times.

Thank you, kudryavka, for your clear explanation!

For cekoni's information,

we have our own native alphabet called "Han-gul". It was created in the mid-fifteenth century by a king, Sejong the Great.

King Sejong saw that the Korean language was different from Chinese; using Chinese characters to write was so difficult for the common people that only privileged aristocrats, usually male, could read and write fluently. The majority of Koreans were effectively illiterate before the invention of Hangul. Hangul was designed so that even a commoner could learn to read and write, and is now the official script of Korea.

Even though Hangul is a system of phonetic symbols, it is categorized as new level of feature system, the first and the only in the world. In 1997, UNESCO designated "Hunminjeongeum"(the very first Korean alphabet publicated by King Sejong) as world archive property.

We use a lot of vacabularies influenced by Chinese character, but we express them in Hangul. :)

cekoni
view post Posted on 21/5/2009, 09:16

QUOTE (kudryavka @ 21/5/2009, 05:35)

No I can't :lol:

IMO Chinese language is like Latin, or Russian in countries of former Soviet.

QUOTE (goldendove @ 21/5/2009, 07:11)
... we have our own native alphabet called "Han-gul". It was created in the mid-fifteenth century by a king, Sejong the Great....

We use a lot of vacabularies influenced by Chinese character, but we express them in Hangul. :)

Thank you both, in the exhaustive and clear explanations :AddEmoticons04225.gif:

I know little, that most of the language at Far East, partly derived from Chinese language ... Whether you understand each other while talking? :rolleyes:

42 replies since 13/5/2009, 03:28   1111 views