Alexei Nikolaevich Mishin, ... all about him

« Older   Newer »
cekoni
view post Posted on 7/3/2009, 04:02

"He is not only a talented mentor, but also a very decent, kind and smart person. In work and life he leaves an impression of a 25-year-old. He does everything I do - jogging, jumping, playing tennis. It's even quite unclear which one of us gets tired first." .... Evgeny Plushenko

---------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexei_Mishin

Alexei Nikolaevich Mishin (Russian: Алексе́й Никола́евич Ми́шин, born March 8, 1941) is a Russian former figure skater and a current coach.

Among Mishin's current and former students are Olympic champions Alexei Urmanov, Alexei Yagudin and Evgeni Plushenko. Mishin has also runs summer seminars. Among the skaters who have attended those are Gheorghe Chiper and Stéphane Lambiel.

Biography

Mishin spent his childhood in Tbilisi and afterwards moved to Leningrad with his family. He was always interested in mechanics, but at the age of 15 started skating. He was first coached by Nina Lepninskaya, a pupil of Nikolai Panin. Mishin's parents encouraged him to skate.

Mishin competed in singles within the Soviet Union and in 1966 he started competing internationally in pairs with Tamara Moskvina. Together they won the 1969 Soviet Figure Skating Championships defeating both the two-time Olympic Gold medalists Ludmila Belousova and Oleg Protopopov, and the future champions Irina Rodnina and Alexei Ulanov. They went on to place second at the 1969 World Figure Skating Championships. They won the silver medal (1968) and the Bronze medal (1969) at the European Championships. They later decided to retire to concentrate on a coaching career. Mishin was 28 at the time.

He comments:
Me and Tamara Moskvina were famous in the USSR: people recognized us in the shops, we could buy a car... But from the very start I looked forward to train other people and never regretted becoming a coach.

Mishin graduated from university with a degree in mechanics and started his dissertation on the mechanical base of figure skating technique. He started with coaching the junior ladies to success at national and international competitions, but later switched to men singles. Soon he became a well-known coach, due to his training methods that made the skaters learn jumps very quickly. In addition, he has authored several books on the biomechanics of figure skating and jumps which have been published in Russia, Germany, China, Japan and several other countries.

Mishin is married to Tatiana Mishina (née Oleneva), a former figure skater, and they coach together and separately. They have two sons.

He prefers to work with men's single skaters:
Coaching women is dangerous — there's always probability that the story of Pygmalion will recur periodically. My wife was a mere pupil at first. See, what has eventually happened?

Mishin is a professor at the Lesgeft School of Sports Science and Physical Education and give seminars all over the world.

Orders and rewards

* Order of Friendship of Peoples (1994)
* Meritorious Worker of Physical Education of Russian Federation (2002)
* Honoured Master of Sports of the USSR
* Honoured Coach of Sports of the USSR
* Honoured Coach of Sports of Russian Federation
* Commendation of the President of Russia (2002)
* Honorary title "Best in Saint Petersburg's Sports" (2006)

Publications

* Mishin, Alexei (1976) (in Russian). Figure scating jumps. Moscow: Fizkultura i sport. pp. 104.
* Mishin, Alexei (1979) (in Russian). School in figure scating. Moscow: Fizkultura i sport. pp. 175.
* Mishin, Alexei (1981) (in Russian). Biomechanics of figure scaters' moves. Moscow: Fizkultura i sport. pp. 144.
* Mishin, Alexei, ed (1985) (in Russian). Figure scating: A study manual for sports colleges. Moscow: Fizkultura i sport. pp. 271.

External links

* Official website of Alexey Mishin: http://www.mishincoachofchampions.com/
* site with many nice infos: http://northern-stars.htmlplanet.com/profi...in_profile.html

Tamara Moskvina & Alexey Mishin...

1968 Olymipics Grenoble

Plushy, Mishin, Alexey Urmanov - 1996/1997 ^_^

... with their three Olympic Champions! :D
Plushy, Urmanov, Alexey Yagudin...

cekoni
view post Posted on 7/3/2009, 04:51

http://www.evgeniplushenko.net/coach.shtml

The skating philosophy of Alexei Nikolaevich Mishin

"It doesn't matter who you were, it only matters whom you become."

Alexei Mishin, one of the best figure skating coaches in the world, is still a work in progress. He began his skating career as a young boy at the end of a rope attached to trucks that would pass by on a frozen street, pulling him and his friends. His had, who also skated, had bought him a pair of skates as a gift. Mishin would later claim he learned inside and outside edges while skating behind the trucks. "We also used to do some kind of waves there that were considered very cool," Mishin told a Russian reporter.

Mishin learned the value of falling early. Once he fell down while skating behind a truck. The driver stopped, got out, took Mishin's skates and drove away.

Half a century later, he has helped maintain Russia’s dominance in figure skating through studying, competing and coaching.

Mishin's parents encouraged him to skate. However, Mishin was reluctantly accepted as a figure skating student during a winter session in Leningrad and was told that he would have to leave by spring. Almost 50 years later, Mishin has proved to be as good as gold to Russia because many of his skaters frequently claim the gold medals under his tutelage.

Mishin not only studied the mechanics of skating but the Russian history of the sport. He began to learn the teachings of Nikolai Panin-Kolomenkin, the first Russian Olympic Champion in 1908, and absorbed everything he could from his coaches and mentors. Just as he sought to work under the great coaches of the sport, now skaters from all over the world come to Mishin to learn from a master.

Mishin’s story is one of passion for his sport, students and his country. As a 24-year-old he was paired with Tamara Moskvina, then 23 and already a Russian National Champion singles skater. Mishin and Moskvina would win two national championships, earn a silver medal at the World Championships, place fourth in the Olympics and earn a silver and bronze medal at the European Championships.

They left the sport in 1970 at their peak to coach.

Mishin would work his way up by first coaching the junior ladies to success at national and international competitions. But it would be with the men that Mishin would gain his fame and forever be linked with the greatest skaters in the sport.

Evgeni Plushenko, Alexei Yagudin and Alexei Urmanov, all either multiple world champions or Olympic gold medalists, are his prodigies. Mishin doesn't believe in superstitions, but the night of the free skate at the Olympics in Lillehammer, he had a feeling Urmanov would deliver a gold medal performance. But he didn't take a camera with him to capture the glorious moment of his first Olympia gold medalist. "I was afraid to glance ahead," Mishin said. "You can never be sure about a victory. It always catches you off guard."

"My secret of success is that I learned much," Mishin would tell a Russian reporter. "I believe that the success from Tamara Moskvina and also from me that we learned much and study a lot. We are both scientists. We did not only skate and began to work as coaches but we studied a lot. We have analyzed and studied. I believe that the scientific approach to the process of coaching is the reason of the success."

It was Plushenko's talent at a young age that fascinated Mishin.

When Plushenko was 11, he showed extraordinary skills by mastering all his triple jumps. Plushenko’s mother brought her son to Mishin in St. Petersburg. She stayed for a short time and after a brief time left Plushenko to stay with Mishin. A year later Plushenko’s mother moved back to St. Petersburg to be with her son.

Mishin paid for their apartment and supported Evgeni with food and money. "He is a very good coach and a very nice person," Plushenko said of Mishin. "Without him, I don’t know, I would be nothing."

Plushenko’s trust in Mishin has been rewarded many times over with his gold medal performances. Mishin has challenged Evgeni to perform his programs with the skill and passion Mishin has lived for the sport. "Evgeni is not afraid of anybody," Mishin has said.

And Mishin, who did his dissertation on skating jumps, sees Plushenko as having the talent to become one of Russia’s best male skaters. "Evgeni can compete for another eight or nine years," Mishin said. "I would like to think Evgeni is not only a World Champion but also an outstanding figure skater. Not all World Champions are going into the figure skating history but he should be one who goes into figure skating history."

The skating philosophy of Alexei Nikolaevich Mishin
"It doesn’t matter who you were, it only matters whom you have become."

The Olympics
"Olympics are very special and can not be compared with anything else. When you are saying – Olympic Games, you can feel it. Do you feel it? Say ‘World Championship, Europeans’… you can’t feel anything like that.’"

Champion skaters
"Only with time I realized that a strong skater isn’t the one with strong points, but one without weaknesses."

Winning
"The desired result should be your main task. In sport there is only one such result – victory."

Qualities it takes to win the Olympics
"The deepest knowledge, highest skills, warrior spirits and happiness. Only god can bring happiness."

Did you know?
Evgeni gave Alexei Mishin a puppy on his anniversary. The dog’s name is Eva.

PERSONAL

Name: Alexei Nikolaevich Mishin
Born: March 8, 1941
Home town: St. Petersburg, Russia
Training town: St. Petersburg, Russia
Home club: Ybileiny Sport Club
Education: Ph.D in educational science. Dissertation on "Techniques and methods of teaching multiple revolution jumps in figure skating."
Wife : Tatiana Mishina
Children: 2 sons, Nikolai and Andrei
Competitive career: Paired with Tamara Moskvina. World Championships (1969) 2nd; Olympics (1968) 4th; European Championships (1969) 2nd and (1970) 3rd; Russian National Championships (1969) 1st and (1970) 1st.
Students/former students: Evgeni Plushenko, Alexei Urmanov, Alexei Yagudin, Elena Sokolova.
Hobbies: Tennis, amateur radio operator, fishing, gardening
Motto: "We only dream about rest."

cekoni
view post Posted on 7/3/2009, 06:09

http://figureskating.about.com/od/equipment/p/mishin.htm

Alexei Mishin and "Mishin's Magic Vest"
by Jo Ann Schneider Farris, About.com

Alexei Mishin - Coach of Figure Skating Champions:

Alexei Mishin is the coach of 2006 Olympic Figure Skating Champion, Evgeni Plushenko. He has trained other figure skating champions including Alexei Urmanov and Alexei Yagudin. He is sometimes called "The Dean of Figure Skating Coaches." He was also the coach, mentor and professor in college of master rated coach Larisa Gendernalik, who is also well-known for her impressive figure skating paintings, drawings, and illustrations.

Alexei Mishin - Champion Figure Skater:

Alexei Mishin competed in single skating and in pair skating. He won the pairs figure skating title in the Soviet Union with Tamara Moskvina and won a silver medal in pair skating at the 1969 World Figure Skating Championships. Mishin and Moskvina placed ahead of the legendary Soviet pair team, Lyudmila and Oleg Protopopov at that world figure skating championships.

Date of Birth, Home, Family:

Alexei Mishin was born on March, 8, 1941. He spent most of his life in St. Petersburg. He has two children named Andrei and Nikolai. They did not become ice skaters, but did well at tennis. His wife is Tatiana Mishina, who was a Soviet singles figure skating champion in the 1970s. Mishin was the coach who took Tanechka Oleneva (which was Tatiana Mishina's name when she competed) to the top.

Began Skating Late:

Alexei Mishin began skating at an age that is considered late for figure skaters. He was fifteen when he began skating. He did well at singles and placed third at the Russian national figure skating championships. He did not compete internationally in singles since the Soviet Union could only send one male figure skater to the World Figure Skating Championships.

Became a Pair Skater:

Alexei Mishin and Tamara Moskvina became partners. In 1966, Mishin and Moskvina began competing in international figure skating events. At the age of twenty-eight, after winning a silver medal in pairs at the World Figure Skating Championships, Alexei Mishin retired from competive figure skating and began coaching.

Education:

Alexei Mishin received a degree in mechanics from a technical university.

Inventor of "Mishin Magic Vest":

Mishin's Magic Vest allows a figure skater to hear sound signals if positions are correct while doing figure skating jumps. If the positions are not correct, the skater does not hear a signal. The vest helps control the position of the hands and arms, the position of the free foot, and the position of the skating foot. This invention can be used for off-ice and on-ice figure skating training. Mishin's Magic Vest is sometimes called "MMV."

[IMG]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4488/miahinvest2465205.jpg[/IMG Photo Courtesy of Alexei Daiter

* Video Demonstration of Alexei Mishin's "Magic" Vest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u98VG9A3wwY (by Alexei Daiter)

This video shows "Alexei Mishin's Magic Vest" in action. Alexei Mishin, the coach of Olympic figure skating champions, gives this video presentation, with help of his pupil Artur Gachinsky. He explains how Vest works and how it can help figure skaters and their coaches to master multi turn jumps.

Professor of Sports Science:

Alexei Mishin is a professor at the Lesgeft School of Sports Science and Physical Education. He is the chairman of figure skating for the Russian university system. He also wrote a book that all Russian students use to study figure skating.

Hobbies and Interests:

Alexei Mishin enjoys golf and tennis. He likes to build things and he likes to cook. He loves animals In addition to inventing inventions for figure skating he has invented a "washing machine of the future."

Seminars:

Alexei Mishin and the co-inventor of Mishin's Magic Vest, Victor Alexandrovich Shapiro, give seminars all over the world. Their seminars cover basic skating skills, stroking techniques, mastering figure skating jumps, and choreography. Also, advice is given to figure skating coaches.

fialka
view post Posted on 27/6/2009, 13:07

QUOTE (cekoni @ 12/6/2009, 04:04)

Oh my God ..... I love him. He is so charming :AddEmoticons04225.gif:
:36_1_13.gif: :AddEmoticons04220.gif: :36_1_13.gif: :AddEmoticons04220.gif:

lilt88888
view post Posted on 5/1/2011, 18:18

Sdrazstvuite, Ya English ee 9 years old! Ya govoryu po-russki a little! I teach myself. ya xhochu to train at skate camp with Mr Mishin, he is amazingly talented, Ya really need to know where ya can buy mmv? Mr Pleshenko is Great! Ya am a girl by the way and I love 2 SK8 :wub: :AddEmoticons04225.gif: :2ms0cvq.gif: :15f535z.gif:

cekoni
view post Posted on 6/1/2011, 06:25

QUOTE (lilt88888 @ 5/1/2011, 18:18) 
Sdrazstvuite, Ya English ee 9 years old! Ya govoryu po-russki a little! I teach myself. ya xhochu to train at skate camp with Mr Mishin, he is amazingly talented, Ya really need to know where ya can buy mmv? Mr Pleshenko is Great! Ya am a girl by the way and I love 2 SK8 :wub: :AddEmoticons04225.gif: :2ms0cvq.gif: :15f535z.gif:

Hi lilt! :rolleyes:

Mishin each summer holding camps in Estonia, Italy and Germany.
Watch his official site for more information this summer ;)
http://mishincoachofchampions.com/camps/

Good luck with your skating! :AddEmoticons04225.gif:

6 replies since 7/3/2009, 03:48   1835 views